Pairing wines with Thanksgiving foods.
Two great friends join me for a Thanksgiving pairing session.
Of all of the questions I’m asked, the most consistent is – “what do I pair with food? vegan, lamb, pasta, salmon, dessert?”
I was thinking about beautiful fall days and everyone’s Thanksgiving weekend. Our lunch and dinner plans.
That’s when I thought of two names:
Daenna van Mulligen – The Wine Diva winediva.ca – winescores.ca
Chef Mark Filatow – Waterfront Bistro (Kelowna) – waterfrontrestaurant.ca
Daenna van Mulligen – The Wine Diva
Daenna has been the longest running regular guest we’re ever had on TRR. If you go to her very popular website you can find reviews, articles and a crazy list of wines.
Daenna suggested her list “Perfect Pairings -pairings with white meat.” Talking chicken, turkey and pork and off we went! Each one of these wines has been poured, tasted and scored by The Wine Diva. Daenna brings the reasons why she chose these wines and you can find the complete list with commentary and bottle shots at www.winediva.ca
- O’Rourke’s Peak Cellars Unoaked Chardonnay, Okanagan Valley, BC
- Spearhead Pinot Noir Cuvee, Okanagan Valley BC
- Township 7 Vineyards and Winery ‘Provenance Series’ Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley, BC
- Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars Estate Cuvee Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley
- Pfaffenheim ‘Tradition’ Pinot Gris, Alsace, France
- Hester Creek Pinot Blanc, Okanagan Valley BC
- O’Rourke’s Peak Cellars ‘Block 11’ Riesling, Okanagan Valley, BC
- Fort Berens Estate Winery Dry Riesling, British Columbia
- Blue Mountain Vineyard and Cellars Estate Cuvee Pinot Noir, Okanagan Valley BC
- Spearhead Chardonnay ‘Saddle Block – Clone 95’, Okanagan Valley BC
- Red Rooster Winery Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley, BC
- Berlucchi ’61 Franciacorta Brut, Lombardy, Italy
- Sea Sun Chardonnay, California
- Covert Farms Family Estate Chardonnay, Okanagan Valley, BC
- Scattered Earth Chenin Blanc, Western Cape, South Africa
Chef Mark Filatow – Waterfront Restaurant
Mark Filatow is GM & proprietor of Waterfront Restaurant, culinary champion, sommelier and wine judge. Occasional fisherman.
This is not your normal interview. We know each others secrets, so its best to just talk and let the words fall where they may.
Chef didn’t have a Thanksgiving menu in place because he’s closed Sunday and Monday.
So, I went to the main items of his current menu. Plus Mark is serving traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner at his home – to the very people he lives with. We paired wines with that food as well. Thank you Chef.
Happy Pairing and A Very Happy Thanksgiving!
· MAIN COURSES
· GRILLED PEPPERCORN CRUSTED HERITAGE ANGUS FLAT IRON
Fork Mashed Sieglinde Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Sauce Bordelaise
· CHARRED GINDARA SABLEFISH FILLET WITH PRAWNS
Toasted Cornmeal Gnocchi, Crab & Ginger Broth, Kimchi Aioli
· COCONUT RICE CAKES & VEGETABLE CURRY
Lime Yogurt, Spicy Cashew, Onion Pakora Crumb
STORIES WE’RE WORKING ON
Platinum winners – Just announced Left Gov. Awards
Church and State